von Karman Institute Lecture Series and Events
Radial Compressor Design and OptimizationMonday 08 February 2021 - Friday 12 February 2021
This short course is the regular course on radial compressors thought at VKI to the turbomachinery students specializing in compressors in the context of the “Research Master in Fluid Dynamics”. It provides an overview of the present knowledge and flow models and intends to provide a good background for the people interested in the aerodynamic design of radial compressors. This 5 day course is now made available to a limited number of people from outside VKI. Lectures and exercises are given by Prof. R.A. Van den Braembussche and Prof. T. Verstraete.
The lecture series is foreseen as a regular on-site event. In case the continuously evolving situation does not allow for this, a fully equivalent virtual meeting will be organized.
von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
Courses start everyday at 8h45 and finish at 17h00 (at 15h on Friday).
Applications and achievable efficiency
Diabatic flows and influence of gas characteristics
Reynolds number effect and scaling
Transformation of energy in radial impellers and performance maps
Inlet guide vanes and inducer geometry
Three dimensional flow in impellers and performance prediction
- Blade loading
- Two zone modeling
- Slip factor
- Disk friction
- Secondary flows (mechanisms and control)
Vaneless and vaned diffusers
Flow and loss mechanisms in outlet volutes
Impeller response to outlet distortion
Stability and range:
- Rotating stall (types and control)
- Surge (physics, models and control)
- Active surge control
How to avoid surge and stall
Design and optimization techniques
Design exercise using VKI software
The citizens of the following countries are eligible to attend the von Karman Institute Lecture Series:
- EU member countries
- NATO member countries
- NATO's Mediterranean Dialogue (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Mauritania, Morocco, Tunisia)
- Istanbul Cooperation Initiative (Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, United Arab Emirates)
- Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Chile, Colombia, Japan, India, Indonesia, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritania, Mexico, Montenegro, Mozambique, New Zealand, Nigeria, Republic of Korea, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand, Uruguay, South-Africa and Vietnam.
VKI reserves the right to request a clearance check with Belgian authorities.
The participants will have to present their ID card (for EU citizens) or passport (for other citizens) the first day of the lecture series.
Fee and Registration
Considering the limited number of participants it is highly recommended that the registration form is sent at the latest 15 days before the beginning of the course. A letter of acceptance and additional information will be sent on receipt of the application form.
Early bird registration fee (until December 8, 2020 included)
Price for citizens of NATO countries funding VKI
Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Luxemburg, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Turkey and the United States
Price for citizens of other countries
Information for PhD candidates and undergraduate students: To obtain the reduced price, the applicant must provide a recommendation letter from his or her professor; if not, the request will not be taken into consideration.
Rebates can be given for group subscriptions along the following scheme :
- 5 persons of the same organization -2%
- 10 persons of the same organization -5%
- 20 persons of the same organization -10%