Tom Vertsraete, Associate Professor in the Turbomachinery and Propulsion Department
Doktor in de Ingenieurswetenschappen, Universiteit Gent, Belgium, June 3, 2008
PhD Thesis subject: Multidisciplinary Turbomachinery Component Optimization Considering Performance, Stress, and Internal Heat Transfer
+32 2 359 94 29
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Ghent, Ghent, Belgium, 2008
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, magna cum laude, University of Ghent, Ghent, Belgium, 2003
2015 - at present: Associate Professor at the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
2008 - 2014: Assistant Professor at the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
2008 - 2008: Senior Research Engineer at the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
2004 - 2008: Research Engineer at the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics
AWARDS and MEMBERSHIPS
- Selected for the IWT-engineering price with thesis (2003)
- IGTI-ASME Gas turbine conference 2008, Best paper award of Heat transfer committee.
Sergio Amaral, Professor Tom Verstraete, Professor René Van den Braembussche, and Professor Tony Arts have been selected with two papers (among 162) by the Heat Transfer Committee as Best Paper Award winners from ASME Turbo Expo 2008.
GT-2008-51077 “Design and Optimization of the Internal Cooling Channels of a HP Turbine Blade - Part I, Methodology” and GT-2008-51080 “Design and Optimization of the Internal Cooling Channels of a HP Turbine Blade - Part II, Optimization”. The paper GT-2008-51308 “Novel 2D Transient Heat Conduction Calculation in a Cooled Rotor: Ventilation Preheating - Blowdown Flux” has also been selected.
SERVICE TO SOCIETY
Reviewer for ASME-IGTI gasturbine Conference, European Turbomachinery conference.
- Advance Course in Compressors
- Flow in Turbomachines
MAIN RESEARCH INTEREST
- Multidisciplinary design and optimization of turbomachinery components.
- Conjugate heat transfer
software for multidisciplinary optimization
Principal investigator of funded research on:
- Optimization of turbomachinery components
- Heat transfer computation in axial turbine blades
- Optimization and design of micro gas turbine “PowerMEMS”