VKI-BAEF fellowships for US citizens
The Belgian American Educational Foundation (B.A.E.F) in collaboration with the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI) encourages applications for fellowships for advanced studies or research at VKI. Applications for 2023-2024 are open.
The offer is directed to US citizens and valid for the academic year 2023-2024. The applications for the BAEF-VKI fellowship are subject to the standard conditions of BAEF fellowships, see details on the BAEF webpage BAEF-fellowships. In particular, the grants carry a monthly stipend of - $ 2,416.67per month for Master's or Ph.D. students ($ 29,000/12) and - $ 2,750.00 per month for Post-doctoral Fellows ($ 33,000/12)
The so-called “BAEF-VKI-fellowships” are for any of the following academic programs organized at VKI:
1. The Research Master in Fluid Dynamics (Master-after-master level) Program (starting 2 October, 2023 and finishing on 1 July, 2024), which is a one year accredited study program (60 ECTS) at master-after-master level and continuously offered since 66 years. It complements the master programs of universities with an in-depth research oriented specialization in fluid dynamics. Independently from the VKI-BAEF fellowship, VKI fellowships are also available and there is no tuition fee for US citizens.
2. The VKI Doctoral Program
3. The VKI Postdoctoral Program
The above VKI programs are all concerned with advanced fluid dynamics applied to the fields of aeronautics, hypersonics, space, turbomachinery, propulsion, green environment, sustainable energy production and industrial processes.
Deadline for the BAEF-Fellowship 2023-2024: October 31, 2022.
Disbursement period: Payout of BAEF fellowships for 2023-2024 can occur anytime between 1 July 2023 and 31 December2023. Fellows should be in residence in Belgium during the tenure of their fellowship and stay for a period of 12 months. If the Fellow chooses to remain in Belgium for under 12 months, the stipend will be prorated accordingly. The minimum fellowship period is 6 months.
Health Insurance: In addition to the stipend, the Foundation will cover the cost of health insurance in Belgium.
Citizenship requirement: Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
- At the time of application, applicants must be registered in a Ph.D. or equivalent degree program in the United States, or
- While holding the BAEF fellowship, they must enroll in a Masters or PhD program in Belgium, or
- Hold a Master’s, PhD. or equivalent degree. (PAS CLAIR)
By 1 July 2023, Post-doctoral applicants should have obtained their PhD no longer than 2 years ago. As the language of the programs is English, candidates should have a good working knowledge of the language. Knowledge of Dutch, or French, or German is optional.
How to obtain the VKI-BAEF fellowship:
The Application form can be downloaded here (US application)..
In addition to a completed application form, applicants must provide undergraduate and graduate transcripts, a brief autobiographical statement, a statement of purpose, and 3 letters of recommendation.
In parallel, please also submit your application to VKI, mentioning that you also applied for the VKI-BAEF fellowship. If you are not eligible for the BAEF fellowship, VKI fellowships are also available.