Application to the VKI research master (former Diploma Course)



-Citizenship in one of the NATO countries. (Non-NATO nationals residing in NATO countries will be considered for admission if they are recommended by an STO National Delegate of their country of residence on the ground that their attendance at VKI would be beneficial to that country.)

- A five-year engineering or science degree (3-year B.S. + 2-year M.S.) from a European university or a M.S. from an American, Canadian or Turkish University.

- Endorsement of the applicant by an STO National Delegate.

- A working knowledge of the English language


There is no tuition fee for citizens of Albania, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Norway,  Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia and Turkey. Citizens of Canada, Denmark, Greece, The Netherlands, Poland, the U.K. and the U.S.A. may receive information on the tuition fee by writing to the Director of the von Karman Institute.


Grants are available to citizens of the above-listed countries who have been accepted into the Research Master in Fluid Dynamics Course program and have demonstrated no other means of support.


The VKI Research Master in Fluid Dynamics comprises a balanced combination of classroom lectures and individual research. Attendees select one of the areas of specialisation and follow the courses therein, adding optional courses to their program if they so desire. Attendees are allowed a certain flexibility in the selection of their course program. The final curriculum will be decided after consultations with the Institute's Faculty and will involve a minimum of 30 ECTS (*) of courses outlined in the syllabus and 30 ECTS for an independent research project.

Faculty members will assist attendees in selecting an appropriate research project. The individual research project will be weighted with a factor of nearly two compared to the performance in course work.

The VKI Diploma will be awarded to attendees who, in the opinion of the faculty, achieve a mark of at least 60% in both course work and the research project.


- Flanders House:

- The Belgian American Foundation: The Belgian American Educational Foundation (B.A.E.F.) encourages applications for fellowships for advanced study or research during one academic year, at a Belgian University or institution of higher learning.

- The Fulbright Foundation: Americans living outside of Belgium may be eligible for Fulbright scholarships to come to Belgium for research or study.